Tuesday, December 9, 2008

My father and I


Obama once said to Men’s Health magazine, “every man is either trying to live up to his father’s expectation, or make up his father’s mistake.” I grew up watching my father franchising his company. He is an entrepreneur, a diligent one, and from him you can understand how devoted a man can possibly be. And at the end, my father influenced my life the most.

For the last nineteen years, I had little childhood memories with my father. He is a busy man, and there is no weekend for him. Moreover, since he loved his company so much, when the company was rebuilt, he even gave himself an additional "office" with a bed, television, bathroom, and even a kitchen. And the reason: “just don’t want to drive at 2 o’clock in the morning.”

My mother and grandparents raised me. They told me stories about him. Stories of how he overcame difficulties. When he first started the business, it was not doing so well. Two month later, the company was already in debt. Additionally, since he was so far away from home, and cannot afford a train ticket, he was forced to sleep on the park bench for weeks. To me, he is just the same as the “Wall street legend”-Chris Gardner.

When I was eleven years old, dad took me to fishing one day. On the way, he asked me the question, “What is the meaning of life?” I thought about it for a second, and said, “I don’t know. What is it dad?” he looked at me in the eye, smiled, and said, “ Son, that is the only question I cannot answer for you. You have to find out by yourself.”

Since then I have been on the journey of seeking wisdom. After years, from schooling to Bible studying, the meaning of my life is very similar to my father: to be a good man whom does good things to others-provide services and establish values to the society. Like what Albert Einstein said, “try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value."

No comments: